Switching It Up

The sound of hearts breaking across Portswood at the loss of Voodoo Friday nights can be heard no more… Your endless supply of Jager bombs is back, as new club […]

The sound of hearts breaking across Portswood at the loss of Voodoo Friday nights can be heard no more… Your endless supply of Jager bombs is back, as new club Switch takes on Friday student nights.

Having had several makeovers in the past three years, is Southampton’s second biggest club finally on the up?

Voodoo (RIP) was a guaranteed busy Friday night after a long week of lectures and a weekend of relaxing ahead. However, with a small capacity for all those throwing out the shapes, it became a hazardous environment in which you could potentially drown in sweat… Now the opening of Switch gives Soton students hope for a big club night out in a spacious venue with shine-free pictures!

While Provenance was often filled with students after Carnage nights, and Myth was appreciated for some of those old school Indie bangers, the lack of regular interest in such a huge venue resulted in their closures. Yet, Switch looks as though they have broken this bad luck streak, with unimaginable numbers queuing outside during Freshers’ Week.

As well as offering an R’n’B night every Monday, Propagnada Rock ’n’ Roll Thursdays, and Juiced Friday student nights, Switch is paving the way for its success with a packed schedule of DJs lined up. Coming up between now and Christmas, the club will host big names such as Sigma, Kidnap Kid, Groove Armada, Route 94 and Bondax.

Third Year Southampton student Jess Summerton said:

Switch is a great new addition to the club scene in Southampton, the only down side to it is there isn’t a second room.  Also I think the lighting is too bright, I would prefer it if my drunken dance moves were not quite so visible!”

Switch has a huge dancing area with bars on either side, plus additional floors with more bars as well as balconies overlooking the dance floor.

The big question now is whether the new club will succeed in attracting freshers all year round, and whether those older students whose loyalties lay with Voodoo decide to well and truly ‘Switch’ locations…

Will Switch last longer than Provenance and Myth? Is it the new Voodoo? Freshers, are you impressed by the new club? Let us know in the comments below!