Serious Sexual Assault in Southampton City Centre Park

A woman was allegedly seriously sexually assaulted in Southampton in the early hours of this morning. Police are investigating an alleged serious sexual assault in Palmerston Park, Above Bar Street, […]

A woman was allegedly seriously sexually assaulted in Southampton in the early hours of this morning.

Police are investigating an alleged serious sexual assault in Palmerston Park, Above Bar Street, reported to police just before 2am this morning.

The victim, 19, was walking though the park alone after a night out with her friends when the reported attack took place.

This morning the entrance to Palmerston Park on Above Bar Street was taped off and three patrol cars and an ambulance were on the scene. Some of the area remains cordoned off and pedestrians are prevented from using parts of the footpath.

Police are appealing for anybody who may have been in the area or witnessed anything suspicious around the park, which is close to Café Parfait and Voodoo Lounge.

DI Jim Park of Hampshire Police has said in a statement that at this stage it isn’t believed that the attack is linked to previous assaults and their focus at the moment lies with determining the exact circumstances surrounding the assault. He went on to say:

If you are heading for a night out with friends, please always be aware of yours and your friends’ personal safety. This is a message the police and our partners are continuing to promote to our communities in Southampton.

The victim is currently receiving support from specially trained officers.

Anyone with information should contact Southampton CID on 101 or the anonymous Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.