Mayflower Halls Fire Was An Accident

Yesterday’s fire at the University’s Mayflower Plaza halls site was an accident, fire chiefs say. It is believed the fire on the roof of the 16 storey building was caused […]


Yesterday’s fire at the University’s Mayflower Plaza halls site was an accident, fire chiefs say.

The blaze this morning. Image: Christian Townrow

The blaze at Mayflower Plaza construction site yesterday. Image: Christian Townrow

It is believed the fire on the roof of the 16 storey building was caused by a heat gun which reacted with bitumen and insulation materials. Gerry Leonard, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Manager, has said the fire was accidental and occurred on the roof of Block B.

Explosions were heard on the site and were caused by a propane gas cylinder.

At its peak, there were 90 firefighters and 15 fire engines on the scene. All construction workers were evacuated safely with no injuries reported.

The new halls is due to open this September and will house 1,100 students.