REVIEW: Freshers Ball as ALL acts turn up

We were skeptical as yet another huge event in SUSU’s calendar dawned upon us. It’s not been the best year in terms of attendance figures at events, therefore the bets […]

We were skeptical as yet another huge event in SUSU’s calendar dawned upon us. It’s not been the best year in terms of attendance figures at events, therefore the bets were on for who wouldn’t turn up. Much to our surprise, all acts turned up, helping to make the last event in SUSU’s Freshers’ Calender what can only be described as a fantastic show.

First on in the Garden Court venue, where audiences never exceeded 50, were the Scarlett Roses and Catfish and the Bottleman. Both acts put on an intimate performance but were obviously disheartened by the tiny crowd. This did not stop the latter from acting oddly on stage, numerous sexual comments were made which were not helped by one of the band members wielding a suction cupped dildo, an item which was deemed as essential in their rider!

The silent disco, which was hosted in the Bridge Bar went down a treat and was full from start to finish as drunken freshers danced to the battling djs as they played both cheese and chart toppers. The fair ground was such a success there was a noise complaint due to the screaming and the ‘Dinky Doughnut’ had a bigger queue than the Stags bar at one point. Freshers attempted to absorb their alcohol consumption by using the burger stand which resulted in the heartbreak of them running out of condiments. The Red Brick all in all, was the social and meeting area of the night, a place of chunder, spilt booze and crying freshers.

Some JCR no-ones on one of the rides

Chilling with Ms Dyna-mit-eee

Modestep certainly warmed the event up in the main room (Pulse – formely known as the Cube) as they played hit after hit. The Drum ‘n’ Bass’ set ensured that everyone in the room enjoyed themselves as they cut some very impressive shapes!

Next up in Garden court were the Luminites who completed a chilled out, intimate set covering some recent tunes with their own relaxed spin, complete with some beat boxing. However, the crowd that had gathered to watch them promptly left the room when they finished, which meant that Dev came on to an empty room. The numbers never really picked up, which was a real shame as he delivered a brilliant set, showing just how talented a DJ he is!

Ms Dynamite’s performance was brilliant, she covered numerous R&B and hip-hop classics and wowing crowds with her famous ‘Wile Out”. P Money marked the second of the 2 grime acts in Pulse, chucking in some insane statements and snapbacks.

56-year-old diva Grand Master Flash put on a mental show and intense DJ set in Garden Court, however, it was Sub Focus who were granted headliner of the night. Aided by an insane sound system and laser show, Pulse was packed with the remaining survivors dancing away to drum and bass. Despite the fact that there were numerous condoms found on the floor at the end of the night, there was certainly no chance that a couple would have been able to get intimate!

Sub Focus rallying the crowd

Some of the survivors from the 2013 Freshers Ball at 3am

The survivors photo was taken and the safety bus queue grew, marking the end of the night. Twitter and comments throughout the night suggest that the 2013 Freshers Ball was one of the best in years, let us know in the comments why you think this is!

The Freshers Ball marks the end of 2 weeks of Freshers, find out some of the other things you can get up to on nights out in Southampton here.