Not So Shitty Soton

A new survey by Lloyds Banking Group has ranked the University of Southampton as the 20th best university for student quality of life. The new survey, carried out in the […]

A new survey by Lloyds Banking Group has ranked the University of Southampton as the 20th best university for student quality of life.

The new survey, carried out in the Summer, ranked 91 universities in the UK using data available about the Universities and the cities that they are located in.

Southampton came twentieth despite not being a top performer in any of the measured categories including course satisfaction, rent price or for the amount of pubs and clubs in the city.

The top spot went to Durham, whose low crime rates, high course satisfaction and high level sports facilities helped it beat Loughborough who came second. The other universities in the top ten were, Cambridge, Newcastle, Oxford, Bath, Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield and Swansea.

The survey also highlights the variations in living costs across UK universities, with LSE students forking out an average of £7,000 a year on private rented accommodation, a sharp contrast from Swansea University where the average student only pays £2,550 a year on accommodation. However, LSE students also had the highest median salary after 6 months in employment of £27,388.

Do you think Southampton should have scored higher? Let us know in the comments.