SHOOTING in Southampton City Centre

An incident this morning has lead armed police to search the St. Marys area and have closed St. Mary Street after a man has died in hospital following a shooting. […]

An incident this morning has lead armed police to search the St. Marys area and have closed St. Mary Street after a man has died in hospital following a shooting.

Police are now carrying out a house to house search in order to find the offender, however, witnesses say that a man has appeared to be arrested.

Hampshire Constabulary have released this statement:

A man was found injured in an address in St Mary’s Street with what appeared to be gunshot wounds.

The man was taken to Southampton General Hospital in a life threatening condition where he has died.

CID have started a major investigation and are at the scene to identify possible witnesses and preserve evidence.

There are road closures and diversions in the area around St Mary’s Street”.

Residents are being warned to stay inside as police hunt the gunman.

Robin Pailler describes the events from a flat, opposite the scene:

At around 11:15am armed police swooped in St Mary’s street as reports of a shooting had taken place in a flat next to the ‘Plume of Feathers’ pub. The street was cordoned off and not long after a motionless body was stretchered out the flats and rushed away in an ambulance. Police have asked all residents to remain in doors until further notice as it appears a possible suspect has fled the scene and is currently on the run as an officer asked if we were hiding anyone”.

[mappress mapid=”3″]
The shooting took place near the Best One shop in St Mary Street.

The incident comes as police continue with Operation Fortress across Southampton – an on going crackdown on violent drug related crime across Southampton.

Police are now appealing for witnesses and in an effort to preserve evidence, there are numerous closures of roads and diversions around the St.Mary’s area.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Hampshire Major Investigation Team by phoning 101, quoting Operation Emetic. Mini-Com users can call the police on 18001 101. Information can be given anonymously by calling the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111“.

More on this story as it develops.

Are you nearby? Get in touch on Facebook, Twitter or by email