Unhappy Reunion For Adkins – Reading 0 Southampton 2

Nigel Adkins’ first game back against his former club ended in disappointment, with the Royals now needing a miraculous run of form to ensure their safety. Despite an encouraging start, […]

Nigel Adkins’ first game back against his former club ended in disappointment, with the Royals now needing a miraculous run of form to ensure their safety.

Despite an encouraging start, Adkins’ new side fell behind on 34 minutes, when Jay Rodriguez bravely slid in to knock home Rickie Lambert’s through ball. Things then only got worse for the hosts on 72 minutes, as substitute Adam Lallana calmly slotted home to ensure that Adkins was still looking for his first win as Reading manager.

Jay Rodriguez bravely knocks home to put The Saints 1-0 up. Credit: @SouthamptonFC

The defeat means that Reading remain bottom of the table, seven points adrift from safety and without a point from their last seven games.  Southampton, by comparison, now find themselves seven points clear of the relegation zone, knowing that a win against West Ham in their next fixture will all but guarantee their safety.

Despite the visitor’s healthy position in the table, it was Reading who made the brighter start and should really have been ahead on 21 minutes. After Southampton failed to clear their lines from a free-kick, the ball fell to Adam Le Fondre, only for the striker to blast over from eight yards-out.  However, it did not take much longer for the visitors to assert themselves on the game; firstly Gaston Ramirez headed just wide, before Rodriguez’s decisive punt into the net. The goal sparked anger from Reading ‘keeper Adam Federici and manager Nigel Adkins, both claiming that Rodriguez had illegally challenged the former when attempting to get to the ball. As half time approached, things could have been even worse for the home side as, after being played in by Ramirez, Rodriguez saw his thumping drive hit the bar with the Reading ‘keeper well beaten.

Despite some unconvincing Saints defending from set-pieces, the second half started much as the first had ended, with Steven Davis being denied by Federici and Lambert narrowly failing to convert after a good ball from Rodriguez. Then, in the 63rd minute came what proved to be the definitive act of the game, with Adam Lallana coming on to replace the largely disappointing Gaston Ramirez – much to the delight of the travelling fans. It didn’t take long for the substitute to make the decisive impact either, as, after a clever ball from Rodriguez, Lallana ran through on goal and neatly slotted home past Adam Federici. Despite the match being seemingly done and dusted, Reading did stage a late rally, with Le Fondre nearly getting lucky with his header on goal after Saints’ keeper Artur Boruc seemingly carried the ball over the line. Replays showed however that any decision to award a goal would have been harsh on Southampton.

Writer’s Comment: Another convincing win for Southampton sees them move within touching distance of guaranteed safety thanks, in no small part, to a brilliant display from Jay Rodriguez. As if confirming my tip about him being future England material, the young forward put in an accomplished display, being one of the only Southampton players to show some endeavour in Reading’s early phase of possession. Life for Adkins, on the other hand, does not look like getting much easier. Only a miracle could save them now and they look destined for Championship football next season. Adkins better hope Royals owner Anton Zingarevich releases a significant amount of funds in the summer to get himself – and his club – back into a league they both fought so hard to reach last season.

Man Of The Match: Jay Rodriguez – As mentioned before, he was at the heart of everything that Southampton did well all afternoon. He showed great determination and bravery to get his goal and then, later on, played a wonderful ball to Lallana which caught out the entire Reading defence.