REVIEW: Parade

This week SUSU Showstoppers are performing the musical Parade at the Nuffield Theatre and I had the pleasure of seeing this poignant production yesterday. Parade tells the story of Brooklyn […]

four-stars-e1332177437564

This week SUSU Showstoppers are performing the musical Parade at the Nuffield Theatre and I had the pleasure of seeing this poignant production yesterday.

Parade tells the story of Brooklyn Jew, Leo Frank, a factory superintendent who is accused of murdering 13 year old farm girl Mary Phagan. Based on the 1913 Atlanta court case, director Rob McGough’s production pulls no punches. The show takes us on a journey in which no emotional stone is left unturned whilst dealing with the challenging issues such as the influence of media on society and anti-Semitism. It is this that makes this musical different from many because it deals with sensitive issues that usually would appear in the script of a play. SUSU Showstoppers should be praised for their choice of musical as it differs from the genre of their recent outings and I would encourage them to continue in this vain as they most certainly do Parade justice.

Alex “Teddy” Clements (Hugh Dorsey) persuades the Court

Rob McGough’s directorial interpretation is cleverly staged and is well paced, although at times scenes where set too much upstage which led to some lost dialogue. He is ably assisted by Lucy Kent who also aids Meg Gibson’s choreography which was perfectly stylised for the period; a notable number was Come up to My Office which was brilliantly performed by Freddy Bowen (Leo Frank). The choreography added energy to the production however I felt that some numbers were not as polished as they could have been. Jason Robert Brown’s music is faultlessly played under the musical direction of Steph Amies which is particularly impressive considering the variety of tempo and styles. The opening number Old Red Hills of Home demonstrates the talent of both band and cast, with particular credit to soloists Chris Foxwell and Paddy Cahill who delivered their lyrics with passion and conviction. The strength of the vocals sets this production apart from many I have seen.

The focal point of Parade is the relationship between Leo and Lucile Frank in which we see a love story that proves that love can triumph over hardship. Freddy Bowen conquers the complex character of Leo Frank by delivering a portrayal that shows both dignity and courage in the face of adversity. His trial song It is Hard to Speak My Heart demonstrated his skill of conveying emotion with unfaltering vocal ability. Emma Bryant played Lucile Frank to Freddy’s Leo and she was simply stunning. The raw emotion and passion that she showed and her pitch perfect vocals meant it was an honour to watch her perform. When the two combined for All the Wasted Time the audience were treated to an insight into their relationship; it is a shame that the script does not allow for a more glimpses of the Frank’s relationship as it would have allowed for more character development and also more chances to see Bowen and Bryant perform together.

Peter “Peewee” Ward and Ensemble performing “Big News”

Notable performances were also given by Alex “Teddy” Clements who played Hugh Dorsey with the charisma and drive whose presence greatly aids the energy of the production. Luke Barratt’s Tom Watson, who colludes with Hugh Dorsey, gave a heartfelt rendition of Watson’s Lullaby full of pathos although I felt his performance in Where Will You Stand When The Flood Comes?  lacked the necessary rousing performance. Governor John Slaton (Jez Roberts) was portrayed with a sense of humbleness which brought an endearing feel to his character.  Peter “Peewee” Ward also showed impressive character work with his transformation from a pushy journalist to a reporter with humility which was nicely encapsulated towards the end of the show. Tashan Nicholas created a brash Jim Conley whose characterisation enhanced his compelling vocals.  The performance of Toby Hasler-Winter (Frankie Epps) and Jade Thompson (Mary Phagan) in The Picture Show was also memorable with Hasler-Winter’s great voice and Thompson’s innocence combined with her great comic timing. The show would also not have been of such quality without the energy and commitment of an ensemble that excel particularly in their vocal ability.

Toby Hasler-Winter (Frankie Epps) gives evidence

The technical side of the production is where improvements could be made although it should be said that they do not affect the overall experience greatly. The set design aids the staging particularly at the climatic ending but it also hinders it as I have previously said. The lighting design was good as it showed the bleakness of the story and also the aggression of the mob, although the cues were often a little slow which affected the pace of the production. The sound balance between principles and ensemble was at times an issue particularly during the judgement at the end of Act One. This being said the production is already fantastic but with a few technical tweaks it has the ability to be an even greater experience for the audience.

I would urge you to not miss out on this production which is full of exceptional performances complemented by clever direction and excellent music – not to mention the comfiest theatre seats around.

Parade is performing tonight and tomorrow at 7.30pm in the Nuffield Theatre, with a 2.30pm Matinée tomorrow. With tickets at only £10.00 for students or £9 with a Performing Arts card you can’t really go wrong. You can purchase them from the Nuffield Box Office here.