SUSU FAKES Student Leader Testimonials

SUSU has come under fire when it was discovered that apparent quotes from current student leaders on the SUSU website were fabricated. In the Union Council ideas discussion group, David Martin, current […]

SUSU has come under fire when it was discovered that apparent quotes from current student leaders on the SUSU website were fabricated.

In the Union Council ideas discussion group, David Martin, current editor of The Edge, raised this point:

It seems a lot of positions now have ‘Opportunity Profiles’ which I think is an excellent idea. However can I ask where these ‘quotes’ are coming from? Reading the one for Edge Editor definitely didn’t come from me. If asked, I’d be happy to provide a quote though”

Discussion quickly broke out and it was soon confirmed by several other student leaders that they had not provided a quote for the SUSU website despite being happy to do so. One ex-student leader even described her quote as “cringe”.

The Opportunity Profile quote for the student leader position of Nightline Officer is misleading, with this totally new position being created for the forthcoming elections after being recently approved by Union Council.

The Nightline Officer doesn’t even exist yet…

Amusingly the Wessex Scene and The Edge quotes were even the same which highlighted the lack of understanding in the difference between the two roles and the generic content of the quotes provided.

Exactly the same ‘quote’ from The Edge (left) and the Wessex Scene (right)

Ironically there is even a warning on the website that if you have a conviction for deception you are unable to stand for certain roles in spite of the very content of the website being deceptive. Some students feel that this is unethical and is a major misrepresentation of the time student leaders spend fulfilling their roles when the reality is they are far more time-consuming.

Union President, Sam Ling remarked that:

Time commitments will be there to indicate minimum & average commitment across the year, the reality is that many student leaders do much more than that

One Councillor, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Tab:

Student experience is vital to SUSU, it is the very reason the Union exists. Quotes and descriptions written for student leaders without their consultation and consent is unacceptable. The attitudes demonstrated in doing so show no respect and undermine the initial idea which with student consultation would have been a good one. Student leaders work hard to improve SUSU throughout the year with little thanks and this treatment is unfair

What do you think of this latest SUSU blunder? Let us know in the comments!