Who the f**k is Skylar Grey?!

On February 13th 2011, at the 53rd Grammy Awards, the world was officially introduced to Skylar Grey. Featured in the intense and emotional performance with Eminem and Dr Dre of the single I […]

Just who is Skylar Grey?

Skylar gave an incredible performance at the 53rd Grammy Awards Ceremony

On February 13th 2011, at the 53rd Grammy Awards, the world was officially introduced to Skylar Grey. Featured in the intense and emotional performance with Eminem and Dr Dre of the single I Need A Doctor, from Dre’s comeback album ‘Detox,’ Skylar’s vocals demonstrated talent beyond what may be expected for a first-timer at the Grammys.

She held every tone to perfection, and evoked the emotion that Em and Dre were trying to convey, which in this case is Eminem’s love for Dre. Check it out below and don’t tell me you didn’t get shivers at the line “I need a doctor, call me a doctor, I need a doctor, doctor, to bring me back to life“.

Grey's vocals feature on the smash 'Coming Home' by Diddy-Dirty Money

That one performance led to the general public reaction of “who is Skylar Grey?!” As many of you now know, Grey also features on Diddy-Dirty Money’s track Comin’ Home. This song was the first indicator of her arrival on the scene and is currently the only other song she can be found on.

However, her career amounts to so much more than that! Who remembers Fort Minor, lead by Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park fame? Does this track bring back any memories?

For those of you still in doubt, Skylar Grey used to go by the name of Holly Brook! I’ve got to say that at that point, even though I love her vocals to bits, I did lose track of her. Granted I was young, naïve and desperately trying to fit in with the crowd, so my main musical influence was mainstream pop. I can safely say right now that i am not proud of it. Under the name of Holly, Skylar Grey came out with three albums that I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t find out about until recently. Anyway, enough about the past, it’s clearly her bright and potentially explosive future that matters. Although I would recommend listening to her version of Where’d You Go, by clicking here.

Skylar helped to co-write one of the biggest selling songs of last year

So.. Its all about her latest incarnation Skylar now. I know for a fact how much you all love Rihanna and Eminem’s Love The Way You Lie. Well, it just so happens that Skylar is not just about sick vocals. She helped to write that very song, which went on to make Em and Ri-Ri a lot of money. She also did her own version, and don’t get me wrong, although I absolutely adore Rihanna, this version is BOOM!

So what’s next? What else has she got installed for us? Well Grey is set to add yet another sensational vocal to Lupe Fiasco’s Words I Never Said. As you may have guessed, I just can’t get over her vocals, listen and be mesmerised. She’s also a talented songwriter, as well as co-writing Love The Way You Lie, for which she received a Grammy nomination, she also penned Castle Walls by T.I. and Christina Aguilera.

The sky's the limit for Skylar...

Grey is currently recording an album with the massive producer Alex Da Kid, who also signed her to Wonderland Music. I don’t know about you, but I am dying to hear what those two will drop in the near future. One thing’s for sure, I’m hugely interested to see whether she develops into the huge star she deserves to be, and I’m desperately hoping that it’ll be sooner rather than later.