Coronavirus: 61 confirmed cases in Sheffield

A rise of 13 in one day

Confirmed coronavirus cases in Sheffield have risen 13 in one day to hit 61.

Public Health England’s daily update of cases on Saturday night showed 61 people in the city have now tested positive for Covid-19, up from 48 on Friday.

It comes as infections across the UK soared by 1,000 in one day to 5,018, with deaths rising by their highest rate in 24 hours to 233.

All of the new victims had underlying health conditions but the youngest was 41.

– READ MORE: 10 things Sheffield students can do in self-isolation

For a time earlier this week, Sheffield had the highest number of cases outside London and South East England, which have become the epicentre for the disease.

The latest update of hospitalised cases on Saturday night shows Sheffield is now the third highest hotspot outside the South East, behind Derbyshire at 64 cases and Birmingham at 75. A grandad became the first in Sheff to die of the virus this week.

Sheffield Uni’s campus is deserted, with most uni buildings shut until further notice

The country has entered into full shutdown mode after clubs, pubs and restaurants were all ordered to shut on Friday night.

Meanwhile the Government has today plead with panic-buying shoppers to stop stockpiling and leaving bare supermarket shelves for the elderly and vulnerable.

All schools are shut and A Levels and GCSEs have been cancelled. Most universities are now shut and campuses across the country have emptied as students return home, with the deadly virus continuing to strengthen its choke-hold on the nation.

Sheffield Uni has begun its Easter holiday two weeks early amid the chaos and shut almost every campus building and the libraries. At Hallam, libraries remain open but most other uni buildings are closed and classes and exams are being moved online.

Two Sheffield students are currently stranded in Peru due to coronavirus travel restrictions, with absolutely no way of getting back to their homes in the UK, as The Tab Sheffield reported on Friday.

Last week a member of staff at Sheffield Uni tested positive, forcing the Arts Tower to enter lockdown for deep cleaning.