Sheffield now has the most coronavirus cases outside South East England

Our city has seen a huge increase this week

Coronavirus cases in Sheffield have hiked to 40, the highest number outside the South East, health officials have confirmed.

The city’s tally marks a sharp increase on Tuesday, when it stood at four.

Public Health England figures show this is the most of any city or local authority outside London and South East England.

On Tuesday, grandfather Leonard Gibson, 78, became the first in Sheffield to die of the disease after suffering from a long-standing lung condition.

His family paid tribute to the “amazing” staff at Northern General Hospital who treated him.

Source: Public Health England | Sheffield Uni’s shut down campus has become a ghost town

PHE told The Tab Sheffield earlier this week that the government’s decision to stop testing patients self-isolating at home means the total figure in local authorities could be higher.

A discreet drive-thru coronavirus testing point has been set up at Sheffield Parkway where people can get nose and throat swabs to determine if they have the virus.

The escalating Covid-19 pandemic sweeping the country has led to all classes being cancelled at both of Sheffield’s universities.

Sheffield Uni announced on Thursday morning that Easter vacation is now starting tomorrow, a fortnight early, due to the crisis, with the government urging all Brits to avoid clubs, pubs and restaurants and engage in “social distancing” to help stem the outbreak.

Meanwhile all libraries and buildings at the uni have shut down, and most staff have been sent home.

Hallam has insisted libraries are remaining open, but has joined the many institutions nationally that have moved all face-to-face teaching online.

Meanwhile the government has  cancelled all A Levels and GCSEs, raising questions over how next year’s freshers will be awarded grades and given places by September.

Coronavirus cases in the UK currently stand at 2,695, with 137 deaths.

Latest on coronavirus in Sheffield:

10 things Sheff students can do during self-isolation

–  ‘We feel completely abandoned’: Sheff students stranded in Peru

– UoS libraries shut down

– Sheffield Uni campus becomes ghost town

– Varsity cancelled

– Hallam cancels classes

– Sheffield Uni cancels face-to-face teaching