University of Sheffield is the best uni in the country, according to students

Sheffield Hallam didn’t fare as well

The University of Sheffield has been placed top in the Russel Group, according to this year’s National Student Survey, released last week.

Sheffield University received the most positive responses to the 27 questions in the survey and exceeded the national benchmark across all but one category. More than 335,000 final year students responded to the survey this year.

Professor Koen Lamberts, President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield said: “We are really pleased that our students have rated us so highly in this year’s National Student Survey. This is a testament to the hard work of our staff and the positive work of Sheffield Students’ Union.

“We really value feedback from our students as it provides important insights into how we can improve. We will use the survey responses to further develop the student experience we offer here at Sheffield.”

The University of Sheffield was placed top for assessment and feedback, as well as for student satisfaction with their Student’s Union within the Russell Group.

The university also placed in the top three for learning opportunities, student voice and mental health, and top five for learning resources, academic support and organisation and management.

The results also show that the University of Sheffield’s courses in architecture, engineering, microbiology and nursing received some of the most positive student feedback in the whole of the UK.

Lily Byrne, President of Sheffield Student’s Union said: “This recognition goes to show the dedication of both staff and students, here in the Students’ Union and University. We aim to harbour an inclusive community which promotes freedom of expression, and it is encouraging to see this recognised through student feedback. We will continue to be a space shaped by student voice, to support the needs and wellbeing of all students here at the University of Sheffield.”

Sheffield Hallam University received responses below the national benchmark for 21 of the 27 questions. This comes after Hallam’s branch of the UCU put out a message on Twitter yesterday calling for the National Student Survey to be abolished.

The Tab Sheffield has contacted Sheffield Hallam University for comment.