Sheffield universities working with council to tackle rubbish from students moving out

Temporary additional waste collections are in place for 8000 properties

Sheffield Council says it is working with universities, landlords and letting agents after residents complained about piles of rubbish left on the streets.

Similar scenes have been seen throughout the country as students move away from universities for the summer break.

Sheffield Council says it is working with Sheffield Hallam University, the University of Sheffield, landlords and letting agents to deal with the situation.

One resident told the Sheffield Star: ““This morning I saw a child nearly skid off their bike into a pile of rubbish because it had encroached onto the pavement. I also saw other families crossing the road to avoid it.”

“I do think there’s this culture of ‘I don’t want that, so I’ll just leave it outside, then it’s somebody else’s problem’.”

Councillor Joe Otten, chair of the Waste and Street Scene Committee, told the Sheffield Star: “The council is working with universities, Amey and Veolia to minimise disruption to local residents during the student move out period. Temporary additional waste collections are in place for 8000 properties in student areas close to both Sheffield Hallam and the University of Sheffield to ensure rubbish is collected quickly. Until 9th July, students can place bags of extra waste, which should be securely tied, on the pavement for collection within 48 hours. The public can also report any waste, fly tipping or littering through the council’s website, this will then be removed within 48 hours.”