University of Sheffield climbs eight places to rank top 20, according to new league tables

Hallam climbed three places to 63rd

The University of Sheffield has ranked 20th and Sheffield Hallam sits at 63rd out of 130 UK universities in The Complete University Guide’s 2024 university league table.

The University of Sheffield has climbed up the table eight spots since last year, from 28th, overtaking the University of Leeds, Cardiff University and King’s College London. After falling last year, Sheffield Hallam jumped up three places, from 66th.

Both the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam have moved upwards in the table in four of the last five years.

Universities are measured on a number of factors, such as entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality and student-staff ratio.

16 courses taught at the University of Sheffield are ranked in the top ten for their subject, including mechanical engineering, architecture, music and nursing.

At Sheffield Hallam, health studies, land and property management, building and information technology are ranked in the top ten.

These rankings follow on from the announcement that Sheffield Hallam was also ranked 9th in the world on reducing inequality by Times Higher Education last week.

• Sheffield Hallam lecturers begin five more days of strike action after pay deductions

• Confirmed: Both Sheffield universities to be hit by UCU marking boycott from today

• University of Sheffield paid private investigators £40,000 to look into student occupations