University of Sheffield is the best university in the UK, according to students

It placed at top of the Russell Group in a survey that gathered feedback from more than 335,000 students

University of Sheffield has been named the best uni in the country, according to students.

The university placed at the top in the Russell Group in the latest National Student Survey, after feedback from more than 335,000 final year students from across the UK.

Students were asked 27 questions that allowed them to rate their academic experience, mental wellbeing, resources and support.

The University of Sheffield received the highest number of positive responses to these questions, placing it at the top of the UK’s Russell Group research-intensive universities.

Sheffield was given the best feedback in individual categories of assessment and feedback, and for their Students’ Union.

It also sits in the top three for learning opportunities, student voice, and mental health. The categories of learning resources, academic support, and organisation and management, gave the University of Sheffield a place in the top five.

This year’s survey also added a new question that explored freedom of expression. According to the results, Sheffield sits in the top five of Russell Group universities at which students feel free to express their opinions and beliefs during their studies.

Speaking about the results of the Office for Students’ survey, the University of Sheffield’s President and Vice-Chancellor Professor Koen Lamberts said: “We are really pleased that our students have rated us so highly in this year’s National Student Survey. This is a testament to the hard work of our staff and the positive work of Sheffield Students’ Union.

“We really value feedback from our students as it provides important insights into how we can improve. We will use the survey responses to further develop the student experience we offer here at Sheffield.”

Lily Byrne, the president of the university’s Student Union, adds: “This recognition goes to show the dedication of both staff and students, here in the Students’ Union and University.

“We aim to harbour an inclusive community which promotes freedom of expression, and it is encouraging to see this recognised through student feedback. We will continue to be a space shaped by student voice, to support the needs and wellbeing of all students here at the University of Sheffield.”

Individual courses also received some of the most positive student feedback in the whole of the UK, including: architecture, East Asian studies, genetics, microbiology and nursing.