University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University to merge from September 2024

The two universities will now become one known as ‘Sheffield Universities’

A leaked document obtained by The Tab Sheffield has revealed plans for University of Sheffield to “join forces” with Sheffield Hallam University from September 2024 in a bid to unite the institutions and address financial and resource issues with accommodation in the city.

Both current students and those who have received offers for either university will receive lectures and seminars on both campuses from September.

According to the leaked document, the merge is already underway with degree classifications for 2024 graduates onwards to be headed with “Sheffield Universities”.

An initial pilot period will guide how logistically the operation will work, with suggestions that “UoS will start the merge by hosting Hallam students for three days a week on its main campus”.

The UCAS process will reflect the unification of the two Sheffield universities. When asked to provide a comment, UCAS told The Tab Sheffield: “We can confirm that both Sheffield Hallam and the University of Sheffield have requested we merge both institutions on our platform to display ‘Sheffield Universities’.

“This does not affect the validity of any prospective students’ offers but they should be reminded to check the new term dates if applicable and get in contact with their respective institution if necessary.”

Students have been questioning the move after a student tweeted a screenshot of their UCAS offer appearing to have changed from University of Sheffield to “Sheffield Universities”.

There will be a joint Welcome Week and mixed socials with both Students’ Unions hosting students from both universities. The change will also see campus libraries and accommodations open to all students at the two universities, with a new Student ID card provided to all, which students will be able to collect during Welcome Week 2024.

The documents also revealed a “buddy-up scheme” where a UoS student will be paired with a Hallam student to encourage a “new path of friendship” between the two historically distinct institutions.

Joe Bunty, a first year economics student, told The Sheffield Tab: “I’m not too happy with the move. I worked hard to get into UoS and now I’m gonna have to share it with Hallam people.”

April Auburn, a second year architectural technology student, said: “I’m not too bothered really. I’ve heard that UoS has a rubbish Students’ Union building. Hallam’s is far superior, I’ll stay put here thanks.”

As part of the scheme, Roar and Hallamnation Wednesday club nights will be open to all Sheff students from September due to the merge, rather than being segregated into separate UoS and Hallam nights.

University of Sheffield is the best university in the UK, according to students

This is every type of boy you’ll find on Hinge in Sheffield

Forget the alphabet, here is the definitive A-Z of Sheffield student life