We spoke to a student who works at Ikea to find out what it’s really like

They really do eat meatballs for lunch every day

Ikea is a right of passage for most students. Whether they're heading over to the new Sheffield store to stock up on waste paper bins, clothes hangers and tea lights, or whether they're just heading there for a day out with their housemates, all students love the Swedish warehouse that is Ikea.

However, we've always wondered what it would be like to work there. Have they had a nap in one of the beds, or re-enacted the scene from 500 Days of Summer with their colleagues? Are they the masters of flat pack furniture, and more importantly, are they sick of meatballs yet?

We caught up with one of their employees to find out what life is really like in that big blue and yellow furniture shop.

The staff at Ikea in Sheffield

So, what is it really like to work at Ikea?

It’s fun for the most part. A lot of it is answering the same questions “Where’s the toilets? Where's the cafe? How do I get out?” We have a lot of people irritated with the size of Ikea. I don’t know what they expect me to do it about it, they talk to me like I was involved with the planning process. I mainly roll my eyes and laugh.

Working at IKEA is really tiring though. Walking between departments makes for a long day. On a four hour shift, I average at walking three miles just from being in store. The store is huge.

Do you get to have a nap on the beds in your break time?

Sadly not! However, we do have a quiet section in the staff canteen with really comfy chairs. I’ve had a nap on them before on a long shift. We get really generous breaks so you can take the time to recover.

Is there anyone who suits the blue and yellow striped uniforms?

Nope. It’s dreadful. No-one suits it, but you kind of forget you’re wearing it because everyone else is. I don’t wear the uniform in public; I take a change of clothes to work to change in and out of when I start/finish.

Has it taken the thrill out of a day out to Ikea with the family?

Surprisingly not. In Ikea you work on one department, and so you don’t actually get to see the whole store in order. I still enjoy my trips to Ikea. I do laugh to myself as I find myself picking stuff up off the floor and helping tidy up even though I’m not working.

Do you end up coming home at the end of the day with loads of tea lights you don’t need?

The thing I come home with most often is pencils. I put them in my pocket when I’m cleaning up and I forget that I have them. Tea lights are surprisingly low on the list of things I come home with.

Do you have meatballs everyday for your lunch?

Not to be a spoilsport but no, I don’t eat meat. They are however on the staff canteen every day so it’s not uncommon to see everyone eating the meatballs. I have the veggie balls most days which are actually vegan too and are super delicious.

Also, do you ever get lost in there?

Being lost is part of the job. You get to know your department really well and the one I work at is separated over two floors.

In training we learnt a little motto ‘if you don’t know what to do, and all else fails, tell them it’s in home organisation’ They’ll usually pass by and see what they where looking for anyway.

Sometimes, I have to go downstairs to the market hall to get things for the showroom. We have staff staircases and secret entrances, but I think I find those more confusing than using the normal customer path as I forget which ones come out at which department. I can be as long as an hour and a half downstairs for a small job, between being lost and customers asking me for help.