‘No-one else’ involved in Caroline Everest’s death

A 31-year-old man was released with no further action

South Yorkshire Police have confirmed that Caroline Everest’s death was not caused by the actions of another person. 

A 31-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of rape has been released without any further action.

Hallam fresher Caroline went missing after a night out at Corp on November 24th, and her body was found in a river on Summerfield Street a day later.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: “While officers continue to work to establish the precise circumstances leading to Caroline’s death, through the use of CCTV, police have been able to rule out that her death was caused by the actions of another person.”

Her family described her as the ‘perfect daughter’

Her family have paid tribute to the 18-year-old, who they describe as their “perfect, treasured daughter”.

They said: “We would like to express our sincere thanks and gratitude for all the tremendous support we have received during this difficult time. It has been fundamentally every parent’s nightmare.

“Carrie was a thoughtful girl and she cared deeply about her friends and family. She tried so hard to organise her life and the things she wanted to do. She was a young woman with such a strong appetite for living and participating in everything she did. He friends, colleagues, fellow students, all appreciated her willingness to help others, to do everything she could do to make a difference.

“The response to her death – the cards, messages and memories people have shared with us has been overwhelming and her friends on social media have been a great comfort to us in our hour of need.’

“Her radiant smile, marvellous sense of humour and warm-hearted nature made her the perfect daughter, a girl who had so much to give and so much to live for.

“She is now dancing through eternity. Fly high little star.”

Anyone with information about Caroline’s death should call South Yorkshire Police on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111, quoting incident number 998 of 22 November 2015.