Police officer convicted of assaulting RHUL protester loses job

PC Ott was dismissed for gross misconduct

A policeman who was found guilty of assaulting a RHUL student has been fired as a result of his conviction.

PC Andrew Ott, was found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm for knocking out a student protester’s tooth. The assault took place during the London protest over tuition fees in 2010.

After being found guilty, PC Ott was dismissed without notice following a Special Case hearing. Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt found Ott had ignored several standards including use of force and that the claims were worthy of dismissal.

PC Ott knocked out William Horner’s tooth with his shield

Following the assault, where Ott knocked out the student’s tooth with his shield, Ott was recorded seemingly trying to frame William, saying: “He’s going to have to have done something, because I’ve put his tooth out.”

Ott then went on to explain” “Ideally I want him nicked, you know what I mean – for something – if he is here he is playing up anyway, he is right gobby.”

When Horner said the police officer had assaulted him, PC Ott reportedly replied: “Not me mate, you slipped on the metal fence”.

In addition to knocking out Royal Holloway student William Horner’s tooth, Ott was recorded on the day of the protests saying he was “going to fucking batter them”, and he wanted to “poke that little cunt right in the eye”.

Two other police officers were also charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice after supposedly attempting to justify or hide the attack.