Northumbria thrash Newcastle live on TV

The Polys took down the Toffs for the world to see on Our Creative North

For every Newcastle student who has ever laughed and ridiculed you for “not having a real degree” because you “don’t even go to a proper University”, live television last night showed the underdogs are, in fact, the best uni in the toon.

Up-and-coming ‘Made in Tyne and Wear’ (channel 117 on Sky before anyone tries to take our crown by saying the channel isn’t real), our five Northumbria super stars wiped the floor with their Newcastle opposition winning a challenge set by Ben Quigley.

The CEO of the new indie company, Everything Different, set the task of designing a minute long advertisement showcasing the creative industries in the UK and what they contribute to the economy. Jonny Bell and the team from Northumbria made a stop-start animation.

Advertising talk aside, our advert was good. Like, really good.

Despite feeling they’d been thrown in the deep end, advertising third year Jonny Bell told his team: “There’s no need to panic. This is the start of something big.

“Intelligence makes people creative. This is our opportunity to put Northumbria on the map. We aren’t messing about.”

It would be easy to assume we felt that little bit more confident based on the fact the Newcastle team had to rope in their own editor AND camera man (and they still lost). We do an entire module on how to work within technical media production.

Yeah, it’s a real degree when you’re on the telly, lads.

Our team decided organisation was key and immediately began brainstorming, impressing the Group Creative Director, Mark Martin.

Our Mark Martin was very impressed, and so are we!

A member of the Newcastle team told the camera: “We’re taking our audience on a journey.” Yeah. STRAIGHT TO LOSERVILLE.

In all fairness, Newcastle may have lost due to their lack of experience based on what their degrees brought to the table. For instance, as this was an advertising challenge, we thought it would be best to put forward the cream of our crop from our Advertising module.

#WINNING

Newcastle put forward a crew in which one of the lads was studying Agriculture. Yes. Agriculture. And they say we’re the ones who don’t provide real degrees.

Unsurprisingly, we smashed it. Despite our “poxy building” and our “inferior intelligence” we wiped the floor with Newcastle and it was all there, available to Sky+ to feel that warm Poly satisfaction over and over again.

#polypride