The Wallows’ performed at 02 City Hall and got a taste of the Toon

After fuelling up on sausage rolls, the Wallows took to the 02 City Hall last Friday, and they did not disappoint. Here’s a full run-down of the show…

Before the boys made their appearance, support act Matilda Mann and her band hit the stage. Her delicate voice blended with the strings of an acoustic guitar produced her beautiful indie-folk sound: perfect for warming up the crowd.

With the atmosphere abuzz, as the Wallows stepped on stage there was cheering from all around, and they kept the energy alive beginning with “Your Apartment” (the opening track of their newest album). Amidst the excitement, lead singer Minnette explained they were going to try and ‘cover as many bases as possible’, reassuring every fan, old or new, that there’d be something for everyone. Very mindful, very demure x

(The ATMOSPHERE)

“Anytime, Always” followed shortly after, creating a sea of bobbing heads that roared with joy when the detached, ending beats blended into the beginning of “Scrawny”. The much-loved, Wallows classic marked a branching from the new album into other areas of their discography. “Remember When” and “OK” being just a few examples.

In the middle of the gig, supporting band members left the stage, lighting was reduced to a standing, Ikea-like lamp, and the boys huddled together. Lemaster’s called upon the crowd to choose between “Drunk On Halloween” or “1980s Horror Film”, in which the latter received screams of approval, winning by a very loud landslide.

Throughout the gig the boys maintained great communication with the crowd but the intimacy of this segment remains unmatched. It was the perfect moment to slow the pacing, and the sea of flashlights confirmed the connection between fan and artist. It was a truly intimate moment xx

Framed with a plain black background for the majority of the show, all attention remained on the band, providing a genuine focus on the music rather than a fabricated spectacle (Pink could never).

Concluding on a high, Minnette committed himself to an unforgettable, energetic (and seemingly sweaty) guitar performance in the instrumental. All hands were in the air; Preston’s waving, Lemaster’s shaped like a heart, and Minettes holding up his guitar. A bittersweet feeling filled the room knowing that the show had ended, but the experience had been UNFORGETTABLE !!!

It was The Wallows’ first time in Newcastle and they’re welcome to come back any time… even if it’s not to perform, then at least to grab another Greggs’ sausage roll.

(Evidence of said sausage roll fuel)

Image featured via Instagram