Our guide to sorting next year’s housing if you’ve left it late

Living in Jes may still be on the cards

We all know uni can be stressful enough at the best of times, but if you’re feeling like sorting housing for next year is a headache too far, then don’t worry- it doesn’t need to be.

It might seem that everyone except you is sorted for next year’s accommodation, or like you and your mates just can’t find something that fits your needs. Rest assured, there is still plenty of options and time.

If you have left it late, you may have to reconsider your options but this doesn’t mean you won’t find somewhere. Once you start thinking outside of the box, you’ll find a wider range of possibilities and something that works for you.

Here’s our guide to getting sorted if you’re still looking for student digs for next year.

Look into alternative areas

Everyone knows that areas like Jesmond and Sandyford are the most popular housing options, so houses go quickly here. However, other student areas offer similar housing and you’ll quite possibly get more bang for your buck.

If you are looking to save your pennies, Heaton is a great option. It may seem further away but worry not – there’s a metro stop on Chillingham Road, making it super easy to travel around the Toon.

Heaton student houses also tend to be more spacious and you might even be able to bag a garden, perfect for those summer parties.

You also don’t need to worry about missing out on the nightlife that some of the other student areas are famed for. Chillingham Road and Heaton Road have plenty of bars and restaurants if you’re after some local nightlife. Osbourne Road? Never heard of her.

Spital Tongues is only a short walk from the city centre, as well as from both unis. It’s close to Leazes Park and the RVI, which makes it the perfect wellbeing wonder of the Toon. You can start your morning with a stroll through the parks and Town Moor – you’ll never have to worry about reaching your 10,000 steps again.

With Eldon Square nearby you have everything on your doorstep, plus you won’t have to rely on the last metro on nights out. If you’re looking for a package deal, many student properties in Spital Tongues have bills included. You might even have the Town Moor cows as neighbours.

Private Accommodation

If you like the city life or are looking for somewhere modern, private accommodation is a good option.

Many private accommodation buildings are designed with students in mind, so expect en-suite rooms, social spaces and in some even a gym. Plus, if you have mates that you want to live with, you can usually request that you’re all put in the same flat.

If you’re looking to live alone, private accommodation often have studios with fully fitted kitchens and bathrooms. Prices can be a little more, but you can get some great views from the top of a student high rise.

Social Media search

When it comes to housing, Facebook and group chats are your best friend.

If you haven’t got a group to live with or don’t mind sharing with people you don’t know, browsing the Castle Leazes Ticket Exchange Facebook group is a good place to start. Short term tenancies, spare rooms and house take overs are all advertised. This is perfect if you really want to live in a certain area like Jesmond or Sandyford, as many of the spare rooms advertised are in houses here.

Group chats are also useful for finding housemates and getting recommendations of which estate agents are best for student rentals, as well as for making new friends that you can live with the year after.

When it comes to housing, it’s good to know what you’re looking for, but also to be realistic if you’ve left it last minute. Be reassured you will find somewhere, you may just have to go to plan B.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.