The Tab’s guide to the best gluten-free food in Newcastle

You may as well say goodbye to your student loan now

Anyone with a gluten intolerance knows that’s it’s not easy choosing a place to eat; its either extremely overpriced or it tastes like cardboard. However, Newcastle does have a few hidden gems that won’t break the bank – or, they’ll at least be worth it if they do!

Whether you’re after a cafe, restaurant or bakery, we’ve got you covered – here are the best gluten-free places to eat in Newcastle.

Cafes

Olive and Bean is the go-to café of many students, but many don’t know they offer gluten-free options. Located right in the city centre, they offer a large range of home baked breakfasts, brunches, lunches, and cakes.

They can turn any sandwich on their menu gluten-free (without any additional charge) and always have at least one gluten-free cake or brownie on the shelf.

Café 1901 is one of the most well-known cafés in Jesmond, but did you know they did gluten-free options? Both their breakfast and lunch menu include gluten free options, as does their huge display of sweet treats.

Quay Ingredient down on The Quayside (obviously) may not seem gluten free friendly at first, but all you need to do is ask. They will swap any bread to be gluten-free, so you can have that eggs benedict you’ve been dreaming of. They even do gluten-free pancakes!

Pizza

It seems like every student in Newcastle has heard of Francesca’s Pizzeria in Jesmond, and there’s a reason for that, so don’t let being gluten free stop you from visiting.

They can make you a gluten-free version of any pasta dish that you desire. However, they don’t do gluten-free pizza, which is heart-breaking if you’re after their famous half pasta, half pizza dish.

But don’t fret! If you’re craving pizza, city centre restaurants Pizza Express, Zizzi’s, Prima Restaurant, Uno’s and Pizza Punks all offer gluten-free pizza base options.

Burgers

As most gluten-free bread is dry and cardboard-like, I usually end up taking the burger out of the bun and just eating that. However, at Byron Burger, Fat Hippo and Smash burger, their buns are actually edible and delicious. All offer gluten-free swaps for the regular burgers on their menu.

Afternoon Tea 

For an extra special occasion, Leila Lily’s do the most amazing gluten-free afternoon for £26.50. It includes two types of gluten free-sandwich, pulled beef chilli nachos, five different mini desserts, a pot of tea and a cocktail. You can also now eat it in their new Dome that is extremely aesthetic if you want to feel extra boujiee.

Bakeries

Cake Stories in Jesmond call their cakes “naturally gluten-free” because their cakes are so good that you can’t tell that they’re gluten-free. They’re absolutely right, as they make arguably some of the best cakes in Newcastle, with seasonal changes to their menu.

Saving the best until last: Lily Tree Bakery. In most cafes and bakeries, they only have one allergy friendly option, but in this bakery, absolutely everything is gluten-free, nut-free and soya-free.

They sell cakes, cookies, brownies, pastries, homemade packets of pasta and bread loafs. Its gluten-free heaven.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.