Fallowfield fresher caught with £250k cash at Piccadilly station convicted of money laundering

Another UoM student involved in the scheme is currently serving a two-year sentence

A Manchester University student who was caught carrying £250,000 of illicit cash at Manchester Piccadilly station in 2019 has been convicted of money laundering.

Yuming Dong, who was then 18-years-old and a fresher living in Woolton Hall was part of a sophisticated underground banking scheme among students at the University of Manchester.

At his sentencing last Thursday, detectives told Manchester Crown Court the scheme involved “large scale money laundering and deception”.

Credit via SWNS

On 4th Feburary 2019, the engineering student was travelling on a train between Manchester Picadilly and London Euston. He called the British Transport Police and turned himself in by reporting there was somebody suspicious on board with a yellow suit case – effectively handing himself in.

Yuming’s room in Fallowfield was then searched and a diary was found. The diary had mentions of money laundering and evidence of visits to London to collect cash.

Last Thursday, on 28th July, Manchester Crown Court found Yuming guilty of money laundering.

Now 21, Yuming has been sentenced to 18 months in prison which has been suspended for two years.

Another UoM student involved in the scheme is currently serving a two-year sentence. Hong Qian Wang, now 26, was sentenced in March 2021 for their role as the “banker” in the scheme.

After sentencing, Detective Inspector Granville Sellers of the British Transport Police, said: “The sum of money involved is simply staggering, but it’s very satisfying to know that over £250,000 of this will now be used as police funds – allowing us further investment in keeping the travelling public safe.

“Money laundering is not a victimless crime, the cash involved often originates from criminal activity such as drug dealing and exploitation.

“We will always take these reports seriously and work tirelessly to bring offenders before the courts.”

Featured Image Credit: via Roman Fox on Unsplash / overlay via SWNS