Man who stalked and sexually assaulted two London students has been jailed for six years

The police described the crimes as ‘cold and calculated’ and ‘targeted attacks’ against students

A 29-year-old man from Birmingham has been sentenced to six years behind bars for stalking and sexually assaulting two students in London.

Troy Maurice was found responsible for two “targeted attacks” against students in March and April of this year. He stalked a central London campus and trailed his victims back to their accommodations before sexually assaulting them.

He was convicted of two counts of trespass with intent to commit and sexual offence, two counts of sexual assault, and one count of false imprisonment.

Troy Maurice (Credit: The Metropolitan Police)

The Metropolitan Police revealed in the first incident, Maurice followed the victim into her accommodation’s laundry room and sexually assaulted her when the room was empty.

The second incident involved him trailing a student back into her flat before subjecting her to “a series of sexual assaults” and attempts at bullying her into having sex. The victim reportedly tried to fend him off during the over-12-hour “harrowing ordeal.”

In a statement, the police said: “Officers from the Central West Command Unit were informed and quickly linked the incidents.

“Maurice was identified, arrested and charged.”

Detective Constable Ben Salmon, who investigated the incidents, said: “Both victims showed considerable courage and bravery following these incidents, which were incredibly frightening for them both.

“Maurice’s behaviour was cold and calculated and I believe the public will be all the safer with him behind bars.”

Kingston Crown Court sentenced Maurice to six years of incarceration and three years on probation for his crimes last Friday, 13th November.

If you are experiencing distress related to this tragedy, please speak to someone. Samaritans can be contacted by calling 116 123, Anxiety UK by 03444 775 774, and Mind by 0300 123 3393 at any time. 

Feature image credit: The Metropolitan Police

• It’s time to address how cases of violence against women affect us as young students

Man charged with murder of London uni student at her accommodation

Woman arrested as UCL campus evacuation revealed as a hoax bomb threat