London University student killed alongside friends after ‘doing high-speed laps’ in car park

20-year-old Sohail Zulfiqar died after the convertible crashed down an embankment

A Brunel University student was one of three victims who died in a car crash in north London on Sunday.

Sohail Zulfiqar died alongside two of his best friends, Mohamad Zeidani and Mohammed Ghazzi, when their car crashed down an embankment.

Sohail was in his second year studying computer science at the university in Uxbridge and was just days away from his 21st birthday, Daily Mail reports.

There were five passengers in total in the Mercedes CLK convertible which had reportedly been racing around a retail park near Staples Corner in Brent Cross before the fatal crash. 22-year-old Mohamad was a student at Royal Holloway, University of London.

According to police, one surviving passenger remains in a critical condition while the other sustained non life-threatening injuries. The five boys had been friends since childhood.

A local shop owner said that teenagers regularly use the car park to race and do high speed laps.

A worker in the retail park accessed CCTV footage of the crash and described the incident. He told the MailOnline: “You can see the car making several laps of the retail park car park over a period of about half an hour.

“The car was a soft top and had the top down. You can see it whizz past the shop on the wrong side of the car park’s one-way system before it hits the hedge at speed.”

Sohail’s younger brother, Shaan, described him as “the most generous person and “the strongest person I know.” He also said: “Everybody loved him, he was just the best person you could meet. If you needed anything, he’d always help you.”

Inspector William McDonald, a local police officer, issued a statement on the incident. He said: “Emergency services responded last night to what seems to have been a terrible accident.

“An urgent police investigation is under way to establish the full circumstances, led by detectives from the Met’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit.

“Officers are in the process of informing the families of the five young people. The families will be supported by specialist officers. I send them my sincere condolences.”

• ‘Bright, brilliant and brave’ LSE student killed in bike collision with rubbish lorry

• London student may have died from long term implications of laughing gas, inquest hears

• SOAS and Met Police criticised over search for missing student as body pulled from Thames

Featured image via Google Maps