TeamUCL moves Sports Night from Loop to Scala

The change was announced two days after a sexual assault allegation at Loop

TeamUCL will be moving their Sports Night, attended by plenty of students every Wednesday, from Loop to Scala.

The move is in effect from November 17th, 2021 onwards.

The announcement for the change came as a short video on their Instagram page, @teamucl.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWD8nNWg-2u/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Most UCL students have either heard of or have been to one (or many) Wednesday Sports Nights held at Loop – a club, bar and restaurant located near Oxford Circus. A student has described the venue as “a staple part of the UCL university experience.”

Unfortunately for Loop-lovers, the weekly events will now be hosted at Scala – a nightclub and live music venue located near King’s Cross. Whilst there have been rumours floating about for the past week about the move, TeamUCL’s Instagram video serves as the first official announcement.

A UCL Students’ Union spokesperson told The London Tab: “We’re excited to be starting a new Sports Night at Scala, Kings Cross. We’ve listened to feedback from clubs and their members this term and have chosen to find a new home for our teams on Wednesday nights.

“Scala is a bigger venue, closer to UCL, with greater potential to grow and meet the demand of our teams. We chose Scala because of their enhanced safety measures including bag searches with metal detectors, on site medical team, and designated welfare space.”

The announcement for the move came after TeamUCL’s recent release of an action plan for club safety and two days after an alleged sexual assault incident at Loop.

A spokesperson for Loop said: “An allegation has been made regarding a contracted toilet attendant who was working on a promotional night in the club. This was reported to our management team who immediately contacted the police who attended the premises and are investigating the concerns raised. We are fully co-operating with the police and have CCTV available to assist them with their enquiries.”

Scala was also mentioned in the news two days ago, on 9th November, with Wargasm singer Sam Matlock claiming to have been “assaulted by three bouncers who pushed his head down a backstage toilet after a gig at Scala.” Photos from after the incident show Sam Matlock with “large red marks across his back and arms”.

Since the incident and subsequent investigation, Scala has dismissed the “two rogue security guards involved”. The venue said they have “backed and actively encouraged the band to report the matter to the police because the actions of these two individuals have far-reaching consequences for all of us”.

Regardless of the controversy, UCL Students’ Union’s Sports Officers, James Maidment and Saiff Hamid, told The Tab: “Sports Night really matters to our community and we want to get it right. We feel we can do that at Scala, but want to keep hearing feedback from club members so we can continue to make improvements”

Related stories recommended by this writer

Police investigate London nightclub employee for allegedly sexually assaulting a student

London’s non-clubbers of the week: A Night In sports societies special

I’m sick of being asked to watch my drink by clubs who don’t seem to care if I get spiked