Gladstone Halls to be renamed after Dorothy Kuya from today

Dorothy Kuya campaigned for racial equality and helped establish Liverpool’s Slavery Museum in 2007

The Liverpool Guild of Students has confirmed that Gladstone Halls of Residence will be renamed Dorothy Kuya Halls of Residence from today.

Liverpool-born Dorothy Kuya was Liverpool’s first community relations officer and helped to establish Liverpool’s International Slavery Museum in 2007, as well as instituting the annual Slavery Remembrance Day.

The new name has been chosen from a list of four shortlisted names chosen by the Guild after opening nominations to rename the accommodation in March. Voters could choose between John Archer, Emma Clarke, Dorothy Kuya, and Anthony Walker.

The Guild has confirmed that a plaque will be installed before the new academic year begins, detailing Dorothy Kuya’s achievements and the history of the hall naming process.

The Guild President, Adnan Hussain, released a statement on the Liverpool Guild’s Instagram story saying:

“Students have been at the heart of this campaign and I wanted to personally thank all previous students and Student Officers for working so hard on this. And finally a huge thank you to everyone who had their say and voted in the referendum.

“I am so proud to have finished what they had started and taking the necessary steps to create a more inclusive and diverse campus.”