Our clubs are in a ‘climate of fear’ as police crack down

Which club will be next?

Liverpool club bosses are losing faith in the police’s approach to club crime, dubbed the “hammer and anvil approach” by ‘Pub Watch’ chair John Hughes.

Following the closure of Brooklyn Mixer last month due to repeated incidents of violence, fears are mounting about further club closures.

In the last 12 months there have been eight closures to beloved clubsfive of which were permanent. Several others have been warned to make changes, especially with issues relating to violence, theft and drugs.

Brooklyn Mixer, which was closed last month

Hughes also said that bar owners feel they can’t approach police. Many club bosses want to co-operate with police proactively so that clubs don’t have to close. But, according to Hughes, “they feel if they say something they will be targeted”.

Karl Berry, a licensing expert, said that the independents which give Liverpool its Purple Flag status and unique vibe could be affected the most by the crackdown. Many freshers choose to study in Liverpool due to its affordable yet dynamic nightlife, as Which? rated both Liverpool Uni and John Moores in the top 10 UK universities for nightlife.

But third year Biomed student Laura Murphy* has doubts that recent interventions were needed. When she got involved in a fight at Brooklyn Mixer last semester, Laura said staff dealt with the situation properly: “The bouncers were very much on our side. They wanted us to go and find the other girl, but we don’t tout”.

Third year Dean Lockley said that Liverpool needed more and better-trained bouncers, but added that club closures are “not good for the consumer, especially for the gay community, with the bulk of closures related to clubs popular with them”.

The police say that Liverpool’s nightlife is safer because of the actions taken, and according to superintendent Mike Wiggins, police do try to avoid closures where possible.

*Names have been changed.