We did deal with homophobia, claims uni

Following yesterday’s revelations, the University have issued a statement about the case

The University has released a statement about the repeated attacks on a Greenbank fresher, whose tragic tale The Tab revealed yesterday.

A university spokeswoman told The Tab the university took disciplinary action against one student, and the police “interviewed and advised” others.

She said: “The University is committed to equality and diversity and does not tolerate homophobia. We take any instances of hate crime extremely seriously.

“Following a number of crimes committed against a student in Derby and Rathbone Halls at the beginning of term, we conducted a full investigation with Merseyside Police.

“Disciplinary action was taken by the University against one of the students involved and a number of others were interviewed and advised about their conduct by the police.

“Hate crime is completely unacceptable and may result in disciplinary action and prosecution. We would encourage any student who is a victim of hate crime to report it immediately to the police.”

More to follow.

Like The Tab on facebook and follow us on Twitter.

If you have any information in regard to other instances of abuse on campus, homophobic, racial, or other, please email [email protected]. All information given will be treated as confidential.