In with the old: students inherit their favourite furniture in Shed giveaway

Students snap up around 100 pieces of furniture as The Shed clears out for an Easter refurbishment

the shed

On-campus pub The Shed is closed for the Easter break, but that hasn’t made it any less popular with students, who were congregating outside it this Wednesday to collect its worn furniture.

The pub, which was taken over by the students’ union in January, is currently undergoing refurbishment, which includes the installation of new furniture to replace the marked tables and ripped sofas.

However, its customers were taken by surprise on Wednesday morning, when its owners announced on social media that its old furniture was “free to a good home” and available for collection outside the pub.

Some thrifty bargain hunters tested out former Shed furniture before taking it home

Some were left disappointed, as they had already left Lincoln for the Easter break and could not collect the furniture that, despite being free, had great sentimental value for many ‘Shedlings’.

Others arranged for friends who had not yet left Lincoln to collect these limited edition pieces for them.

Lower student numbers did not mean the giveaway was any less successful. Having been announced just before 11am, all furniture was gone by 3pm.

Many of the Shed’s former tables had been marked with people’s names, adding to the sentimentality value for some students

While many students just came for the mementos, others took an old TV to connect to their games consoles, with some collecting whole sets of furniture to create a “mini Shed”.

Whole teams of students came down to collect a sofa, and even some non-students visited the campus to add some ‘new’ furniture for their office.

The Shed will reopen with its new furniture on Thursday 24th April.