Leicester researchers have developed an electronic nose

No, really

Leicester researchers have made their biggest breakthrough since discovering Miley Cyrus couldn’t possibly come in like a wrecking ball.

Scientists at the University of Leicester have developed an ‘electronic nose’ that can be used to detect infectious bacteria present in people’s faeces that cause diarrhoea, fever and abdominal cramps.

Research took place in the Chemistry dept.

The highly infectious Clostridium Difficile, affects the digestive system and can survive for months on objects to be accidentally ingested.

It could easily infect students seeing as the only preventative measure is good hygiene; washing hands, living in a clean area (no grotty bathrooms or mounds of rubbish) and cleaning down surfaces after use.

But, using a mass spectrometer, the Leicester research team have developed a way to identify the smell of C.difficile without sticking their actual noses in it and can even distinguish the particular strain of the bacteria.

Dr. Martha Clokie from Leicester’s Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, whose back catalogue of C.difficile diseased samples were used in the research, said that “current tests for C.difficile don’t generally give strain information”.

The research, led by Clokie and Leicester Chemistry professors, Andy Ellis and Paul Monks, measured the Volatile Organic Compounds (scientific terminology for smells) given off by the various C.difficile strains, by using an electronic nose to smell the samples and specifically identify the type.

However, it’s yet to be translated into an easy, efficient technique for doctors to use whilst studying their patients’ bacteria-infested bowel leavings.

But Prof. Ellis stated that “with further research we would hope to be able to develop a reliable and almost instantaneous tool for detecting a specific strain, even if present in very small C.difficile cases.”

Students however, seem more cautious in their enthusiasm with Leicester’s latest research

Tom Stevens-Whyke, a 2nd year Biological Science student, told the Tab, “I think because it’s still in its earlier stages it’s hard to say but it’s always good to find new ways of tracing diseases.”

Hand gel, an effective means of fighting C.difficile?

With delayed treatment or complications, C.difficile can cause a build up of gas, damage to the bowels and, in extreme cases, can be life-threatening and Tom thinks it’s possible to pick it up at your average student house party, “because they can be really dirty places, with people being sick and everything.”

Although he added, “as long as you wash your hands after using the toilet and don’t stick anything weird in your mouth like coins, you should be fine.”