Letsdisko named as replacement for Red Leicester

Announced today on Facebook, Letsdisko will serve as the replacement to the hugely popular Red Leicester

We first broke the story of Red Leicester’s demise back in June when Rockstar Promotions announced its decision to close via social media, much to the horror of Leicester students.

Now the Tab can disclose details into the new club night replacing it. Announced today, Letsdisko intends to fill the Wednesday night void left by Red Leicester.

We got in contact with Martin Cullen, the managing director and head honcho at Rockstar and, without ruining the surprise, those of you who thought a decade of cheese-filled, VK-fuelled, fancy-dressed nights of madness were over, think again.

According to Rockstar the most noticeable difference between Red Leicester and Letsdisko is the music on offer.

After 10 years of blasting out the finest cheesy music around, Red Leicester’s track list had become pretty outdated, even for the most die-hard S-Club fan.

But fear not, there won’t be too much of a change. Cullen says it’s more a case of updating the scene than a total overhaul and so the music is simply moving from 90s cheesy classics to 00s cheesy classics.

Red Leicester was also renowned for its 1 quid drinks and seemingly compulsory attendance of the uni sports societies, who liked the event due to its discounted ticket prices and the ability for their committees to use Red Leicester ‘loyalty cards’, to get in for free.

According to Cullen, the discounted drinks and society privileges will remain at Letsdisko and it will definitely maintain the ‘fun vibe’ Red Leicester was loved for.

The Letsdisko Facebook page, launched today, promises 4 firebombs for £7, £2 diskoball cocktails and double up spirits for a quid.

For example, students can still get up on stage, new competitions will take place and t-shirts will probably still be thrown.

While many students regarded Red Leicester as an ‘institution’, Letsdisko aims to be an even bigger part of Leicester student nightlife.

Cullen said Red Leicester just wasn’t well-received enough and that “last years freshers were not buying into it”, finding it too old-school to bother with.

Admittedly, many fans of the night were in their final years and have now graduated, requiring the 10-year old night to upgrade to something more relevant for the incoming freshers.

But not everyone is convinced. Backlash has already begun on twitter, with students doubting the new night will improve on Red Leicester, and slating the name Letsdisko.

2nd year student, Shama Johns, said the soon-to-be launched night didn’t sound as good as Red Leicester.

“They’re giving this a lot of hype and I was expecting a massive change but it’s a bit of an anti-climax. But I’m sure hockey corner will stay exactly the same anyway and we’ll get mad drunk and dance like cray regardless.”

Will you be embracing shiny new Letsdisko when it finally arrives, or are you holding on to the memory of Red Leicester? Let us know in the comments.