Leicester: A great place for young adults

Leicester among the best places for young people to live.

It’s good news for students as research finds Leicester is the 6th best city for young adults.

The findings, from the Legal and General Group, compiled data on areas such as job satisfaction, job opportunities, wages and work/life balance in order to rank the major cities of the UK. Cardiff tops the charts with high scores in five important criteria.

Leicester came out on top for Job enjoyment and the work/life balance, both good signs for Leicester’s social scene. The report found that 74% of 18-30 year old’s found the work-life balance in the city made them happy and a massive 73% loved their job.

Leicester didn’t score so highly in culture and entertainment or job opportunities, ranking 7th in both. Local rivals Nottingham figure low on the chart of the top 20 cities coming in at 18th whilst the other midland giant Birmingham features in 14th place.

The top 10 places to be young

1. Cardiff

2. Coventry

3. Newcastle

4. Liverpool

5. Edinburgh

6. Leicester

7.  Brighton

8. Bristol

9. Belfast

10. Leeds

London’s ranking at 15 may also come as a shock to many, with 55% of all young adults questioned expecting it to be the city with the best quality of life when asked, the city suffered with cost of living, high rental rates and levels of crime, coming last in each category. The report has also found that few 18-30 year olds seem to care about insurance, with only 3% of the 2000 people questioned having lifestyle insurance.

With a growing student population in Leicester the report can only come as good news to those hoping to find a home at university here and the research is said to provide “insight into what makes a city a great place to live for young adults…” by the chief researcher Dr Esmée Hanna. It seems that happiness in the city  is running in tandem with the Universities recent high  results in the National Student Survey and Leicester continues to offer great opportunities to young adults.