Why you should write for The Tab Leeds next term

Join the student journalism revolution

Love it or hate it, everyone reads The Tab Leeds.

We’ve had over a million views on our stories – and that’s just  this semester. If that sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, we want you to join us.

If you want to know a second year Geographer’s stance on the farming crisis in Nepal, or read a third year Historian’s review of Ryan Gosling’s new rom-com, we’re not for you.

But if you want to publish fresh local news and features which people actually want to read, then you should be writing for The Tab Leeds.

Don’t believe us? Then have a look at some of the stories we’ve broken this term – from a mass walkout of politics students when their lecturer put on a video, to Douglas Booth making an appearance in Fruity, to Leeds Uni Wi-Fi being hacked by cyber attackers.

Is features or opinion more your thing? Then check out this vox pop where we asked people in gym clothes if they were actually going to the gym, or our argument about why second years have become so bloody boring.

The Tab cares about the students of Leeds, and that’s why we write what you want to read, in the style you want to read it in. Interested? Click here to sign up.

Abs Settipalli, Co-Editor

“I started out just connecting a few stories to some writers I know that worked for The Tab – then one day when I was abroad I witnessed an incident with a celebrity which I followed up and wrote about. The next day, it was on the front page of the national papers.

“Since then I’ve been an Editor for 2 years and have loved every second of it! I’d highly recommend it to anyone, even if you have no intention of becoming a journalist – or have no writing experience like me.”

Jess Austin, Co-Editor

“I always wanted to write for The Tab. A lot of my friends wrote at other unis but it took me around a year to actually get around to applying. It’s been a lot of fun, all the writers are pretty cool and it looks super snazzy on your CV.”

Kiran Morjaria, Co-Editor

“The best thing about The Tab is how informal and relaxed it is. We meet every week at the pub, have a few drinks and gossip about what’s been going on around uni that week.

“It’s so easy to have an idea, do some investigating, turn it into a great story, and with The Tab’s connections have it published in a national paper. Whether you want to be a journalist or not, it’s an awesome team to be part of, with regular socials, free meals and tickets to events – my overdraft really does appreciate it.

“I started writing three years ago, worked up the ranks and now I’m one of the Editors of the biggest student news publications in the country. Whether they admit it or not, people read the Tab.”

Emily Willson, News Editor

“Writing for The Tab has been majorly helpful to me in furthering my journalistic skills and job prospects. I’ve been able to say I’ve got published work and that I’ve broken exclusives. Having published work before you’ve graduated is a major bonus to employers and should save a lot of unpaid internships at the end!”

Jake Leigh-Howarth, Features Editor

“In the past year or so I’ve been writing for the Tab, and I’ve learnt many valuable journalistic skills. It’s not as simple as just writing an article – you have to get pictures, quotes, statements and as much information as possible if it’s a news story.

“These are all fantastic skills that top newspapers and publications are looking for, and it puts you in a really strong position employability-wise. Also, the socials are the most debauched nights out I’ve ever experienced in Leeds.”

Duncan Claber, Senior Reporter

“Last year I applied to write for the Gryphon and they never got back to me. I’m glad – The Tab is free and so much better.

“With The Tab’s audience you reach out to more readers. If your story is good enough it goes national and becomes big, and normal student papers can’t give you that. Also you get free booze and free entry to clubs at socials, so that’s an added bonus!”

Want to be a part of Leeds’ student journalism revolution? Sign up here.