We asked people in gym clothes if they were actually going to the gym

There are no treadmills in the Hidden Café

activewear edge fitness funny gym health hidden cafe kit leeds leggings LUU lycra sports uni

We’re all guilty of wearing gym kit around campus regardless of whether or not we’re actually going to the gym.

It’s quick, easy and above all it allows you to be comfortable in the Laidlaw instead of feeling constricted by the shackles of skinny jeans which are just a little bit too skinny.

We took to campus to find fellow girls in gym kit and find out whether they were actually headed down to the Edge at some point or if, like most of us, they woke up this morning and just felt it was a lycra kind of day.

Delia Cangelosi, PhD Geology

“I don’t even have a gym membership” You know what, you look good anyway, exercise isn’t the only excuse to flaunt lycra and whoever says otherwise is probably just bitter that they pay £80 a month to David Lloyd.

Exercise isn’t the only excuse to flaunt lycra

“I don’t even have a gym membership.”

Jess Todd, International History and Politics

“It’s effort to carry a different change of clothes on days when I do sport, so I might as well stay in this all day”. The fact you actually do sport puts most of us in gym kit to shame… but yes, nobody wants to be carrying 5 bags around uni all day; our bags are already weighed down with nakd bars, homemade smoothies and diet cokes because we’re SO super healthy.

The fact she actually does sport puts most of us to shame

“It’s effort to carry a different change of clothes on days when I do sport, so I might as well stay in this all day.”

Jessica Mitchell, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American  Studies

So you're late for your lecture? Do not fear! Thankfully you wore your gym kit so you can jog the last 5 minutes and not miss a thing. Plus studying is way easier in a breathable cotton hoody and leggings.

Studying is easier in a breathable cotton hoody and leggings: it allows the knowledge in and last night’s alcohol out

“If I’m late for a lecture, it doesn’t matter when I’m in my gym kit – I can just jog it and I don’t have to miss a thing.”

Erin O’Loughnane, Masters in Sustainability

"I love going food shopping in gym kit; reaching high and low shelves can be down with ease." Who looks stupid now Miss I'm wearing my new boohoo mini skirt so can't bend down to get the biscuits on the bottom shelf?

Who looks stupid now, Miss I’m-wearing-my-new-boohoo-mini-skirt-so-can’t-bend-down-to-get-the-biscuits-on-the-bottom-shelf?

“I love going food shopping in gym kit – reaching high and low shelves can be done with ease.”

Georgia Fuller, History and Spanish

“I normally aim to go to the gym in the morning so put on my gym kit… it doesn’t always work out though”. We feel you Georgia, by the time the 3rd lecture of the day has come round we just want to go home and binge on a big bowl of pasta not get our sweat on.

By the time the third lecture of the day has come round, the gym isn’t happening

“I normally aim to go to the gym in the morning so put on my gym kit. It doesn’t always work out though.”

Rebecca Old, Geography

Dressing gown, gym kit and a mug of hot chocolate... An interesting combination but definitely one which screams out "I am NOT going to the gym". You still burn calories whilst watching TV... right?

Nothing says you’re going to the gym less than wearing a dressing gown over gym kit

“I just love relaxing in my gym wear and dressing gown. It’s such a comfy combo, plus I look so damn good anyway.”

Katie Gabriel, International Relations

“Nope, not going to the gym, just finishing a deadline…” If you’re in the library and not in gym kit you’re doing it all wrong… it’s something about lycra that gives us a little boost, like we’re being healthy and doing work – two things that are often scarce in student life.

If you’re in the Hidden Café and not in gym kit you’re doing it wrong

“Nope, not going to the gym. I’m just finishing a deadline.”

Jemma Finch, Fashion Marketing and Gabrielle Manning, Psychology

“Having a coffee… in my active wear”. “Gym leggings are comfy as hell”. AMEN to that, I feel you.

Comfier than the Edge

“Having a coffee… in my active wear.”

“Gym leggings are comfy as hell.”

Clare Greevy, Medicine

“Wearing gym kit is just so easy; no effort needs to be put in.” Truer words have never been said; if people think I look like a state I can just blag I’ve been in a 4 hour intense spin class.

If someone hates on you for wearing gym kit on campus, cut them out of your life

“Wearing gym kit is just so easy – no effort needs to be put in.”