Lancaster University publishes ‘new suicide prevention strategy’

‘A whole-university approach to student mental health and wellbeing’

Lancaster University has published a new suicide prevention strategy for the whole of the university to increase support for staff and student mental health and wellbeing.

Changes had been made to the existing policy following a review, and “draws on Suicide Safer University guidance provided by Universities UK and suicide prevention charity Papyrus.”

The new policy highlights the university’s approaches to the three key areas of “suicide safer activity” which entails prevention, intervention, and postvention (the actions that follow a suicide).

The policy describes the university’s intentions to “reduce risk by creating safer living and learning communities”, to “establish effective suicide interventions”, and to “ensure students and staff who are affected by suicide or attempted suicide have access to appropriate support.”

The Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, Professor Wendy Robinson, said in a statement: “I am very pleased that we are publishing our new Student Suicide Prevention Strategy today.

“As a University we have committed through our new Strategic Plan to 2026 to three core values, which we expect will shape and influence all that we do. We will be open, fair and promote diversity; we will build strong communities, and we will create positive change.

“During times of immense social and personal challenge these values will provide us with a clear moral compass and guide, even though this will not always be easy or straightforward.

“This new Student Suicide Prevention Strategy is whole-heartedly endorsed by the University’s senior leadership team and we are committed to continuing to reflect, learn and apply lessons of good practice from across the sector as we support our whole student community.”

For more info on the university’s mental health and counselling services, click here.

If you need to reach out for help, you can also contact the Samaritans here.

Related articles recommended by this writer: