King’s president to perform virtual graduation ceremonies dressed as Reggie the Lion

Get your entire family to crowd around your computer screen to watch you get given your degree by a lion

Following an email sent out last month regarding the postponement of in-person graduation ceremonies in 2021, King’s College London has announced today that a live virtual ceremony will take place this year for the first time. But there’s a twist: the current interim president Evelyn Welch will perform the ceremonies whilst dressed as the beloved King’s mascot, Reggie the Lion.

The class of 2021 can expect to graduate in style with a president who promised that she will open and close the ceremonies while wearing a big fluffy lion costume.

Reggie the mascot is a firm favourite of all King’s students and can be seen prowling the halls of the Fresher’s fair introducing new students to the King’s Circle of Life and drumming up support for Varsity events in previous years.

In a statement, she said that she “hopes to lift the spirit of final year students” with a “light-hearted gesture, after all the difficulties and complications members of the community at King’s College London have experienced this year, from the UCU strikes to the Coronavirus pandemic”.

The graduation ceremonies will take place on the 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th of July, spread across multiple timeslots throughout the day according to faculty and will take place over Microsoft Teams. Students will receive their certificates on the post prior to the event. More information regarding the dates for individual students is yet to be confirmed.

However, due to timezones and potential technology issues, the College has reassured finalists in an email that “due to the nature of the ceremonies, they are not compulsory and you do not need to have attended one to officially graduate” but that they encourage as many students as possible to attend as “it will an opportunity to celebrate your achievements with your peers and supporters”.

The Tab King’s spoke to students to find out their thoughts:

3rd year History student Leo said: “I was really upset when the in-person graduation was cancelled and I wasn’t sure if I was going to attend a virtual celebration because it would be too miserable. But I feel like I should at least check it out now !”

3rd year Biomed student Aslan told The Tab King’s: “It’s annoying that we still can’t celebrate in person but I appreciate the effort to lighten up the ceremony and attempt to give students a chance to say goodbye to King’s. Not many people get to have their degree awarded by a lion”.

Final year International Relations student Alex Alakay said: “I’ve always heard from my friends who have already graduated that the in person ceremonies were quite dull. This sounds cool! I’ll have to try not to roar with laughter”.

The verdict on graduation ceremonies for the class of 2022 is still yet to be decided.

If you’re still reading… check the date. Happy April fools!