King’s students told to ‘return home’ due to coronavirus

Staff have also been told to work from home.

King’s College London has told students to “return home” where possible and staff have been advised to work from home where possible.

The update was emailed to students by Vice Principal Chris Mottershead late last night, following the Prime Ministers statement that London was weeks ahead of other regions in terms of the virus spread.

The email assured students that the university realises in some cases students cannot return home, and if this is the case the university will provide its full support.

Whilst the university will remain open at present, most classes will be taught remotely online.

The full email reads: 

“Dear Students and Colleagues,

“Following on from my message to you all on Friday 13 March, the Prime Minister has today announced some additional measures in an attempt to slow the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). These measures include social distancing, working from home where possible and all non-essential travel stopped.

“The university remains open, but we are accelerating our transition into more flexible working.

“We anticipated these measures would be implemented, but they have been put in place quicker than expected. We have taken the decision to implement the following actions in line with the UK Government’s latest guidance.

Students:

“We advise all students, including those of you overseas, to return home whether that it is to the UK or to your home country. We recognise that for some of you this will not be possible, and I want to assure you that we will ensure you are looked after and supported.

“If you are in university accommodation and unable to go home, accommodation and other essential services will continue to be available to you should you need them.

Staff:
“All members of staff who are not required to come into the university to fulfil their role should work from home if possible. You can of course come and collect any essential personal items and things you need to support your ability to work remotely.

“Lab-based and clinical researchers should seek advice from their line manager or academic supervisor on pausing non-critical research. Further guidance on this is being provided.
Anyone who is concerned about friends or family should stay at home. If your role requires you to come onto campus, please discuss this with your line manager so we can support you and suitable arrangements can be made.

“I know this latest announcement will be unsettling and will invite further questions. More details and information will be provided but I felt it was important to update you quickly.

“We are ready to take these significant steps. We do feel that these actions are the right thing to do to protect our community of staff, students and visitors during this challenging period. We will continue to update our website with the latest guidance.

“I would like to personally thank every member of our community for all they are doing to look out for their students, colleagues and friends in these exceptional circumstances.”

King’s College London has currently confirmed five cases of the virus amongst staff and students.

Last week the university announced that traditional exams would be cancelled in favour of alternative assessments.

Many departments appear to have opted for online examinations and online dissertation hand-ins.