More students are living in the city centre to avoid dangerous outer areas

Kensington won’t cut it anymore

City centre accommodation could mean the end for student areas Kensington and Smithdown.

Liverpool Student Homes produced data that revealed information indicating that the number of students moving towards private halls instead of shared houses is on the increase. This is primarily for convenience and safety.

Connie Nkansah, Kensington landlord agreed that: “The increase of student housing in the city centre is definitely being seen as a threat to private landlords, but there is still lots of interested in our properties.”

Up to 34,000 students in Liverpool are believed to need accommodation every year.

After a first year spent in halls many second and third year students opt for private housing with their chosen friends, most popularly in either Kensington or Smithdown, despite the much higher crime rate than in the city centre.

There were over 2,500 crimes committed in Smithdown last year with Borrowdale Road being named the most dangerous.

In Kensington there were just over 500 crimes proving to be the safer area despite it’s bad reputation.

Osian Morgan, Kensington resident, said: “I’m conscious walking home because the other day someone told me not to walk up the road because there was a gang waiting, so we waited ten minutes and then it was fine, that’s the only problem I’ve had.

“There was an armed robbery at a student house on a nearby road as well, that’s quite worrying.”

Victoria Halls

Logan Ryan, a second year Biomed student, made the decision to remain in halls: “Although I miss my friends from halls in first year loads, I have found being in Victoria halls convenient.

“It’s closer to my campus (so I get a lie in) and there’s still the 24/7 security and maintenance without having to rely on a landlord.”

Specialist property agency city residential predicts that there could be up to 35,000 student beds in the city centre by 2020, expressing concerns that housing schemes are being developed quicker than student numbers are expected to rise.