Image may contain: Factory, Building

Second fire engulfs Glasgow School of Art’s Mackintosh Building

It happened overnight and spread into the nearby buildings of Campus and the O2 ABC

Just four years after the devastating fire which caused extensive damage, another fire has torn through the Glasgow School of Art's Mackintosh Building.

The world-celebrated building, part of one of Glasgow's most famous academic institutions, was nearing the end of renovations which are thought to have cost around £20m – £35m.

The fire is thought to have started at around 23:20 on Friday night. A team of over 120 firefighters, and 20 fire engines, were on-scene as they attempted to put out the blaze.

As well as the School of Art, the nearby buildings of Campus and the O2 ABC have also suffered "extensive damage".

At this stage, it is unlikely that any of the renovations will have survived this latest fire, with people describing it as "much worse" than the previous fire.

Thankfully, it has been said that there have been no casualties as a result of the fire and that the fire is all-but put out now.

Nicola Sturgeon has said that the Scottish government are "ready to provide any support" whilst she also took time to "thank the emergency services for their continued efforts."

The Tab would like to send our thoughts and best wishes to all the students, staff and alumni of the Glasgow School of Art.