Do you guys pay your TV licence?

We found out

Student budgets are not that large, and when you have to pay for rent, bills, tuition fees and booze, the last thing thing you want to do is pay to £145 on  a TV licence.

We took to campus to find out if students really pay for them.

Law student, Dominic.

Free or not, for some it makes no difference. Dominic, as a Law student, thinks he can get away with anything:

“I do have a TV but not a TV licence. I still watch live tv on it though – I believe I can get away without buying one.”

Lily, who studies History of Art

And anyone who has their priorities right would rather put shoes on their feet than flaunt their tv licence barefoot. Lily, a second-year studying History of Art, said: “The TV licence is too expensive – you could get a new pair of Timberlands for the price it costs.”

Emma, a fourth year student.

According to fourth year student Emma, you don’t need one: “I have a tv but not a licence. We’ve got apple TV and Netflix so it’s not worth it getting a TV licence.”

Euan, a second year student.

Second year Euan said: “As a student it’s not worth it; you’re out of the house constantly and I’d rather go out with my friends than stay in to watch TV. I actually don’t think that what we watch is worth paying for.”

Drijeva, Carlos, Jeide, Victor, Leo; a group of exchange students from Brazil

A group of exchange students from Brazil agree. They said: “The TV licence is really expensive. It’s free in Brazil, so we wouldn’t pay that amount of money to get it here.”

Fourth-year Music student, Anna.

But Anna, a fourth year Music student is not prepared to take that risk, as watching live TV without having a TV licence can end up in fines up to £1000 pounds. Anna said:  “I’d rather pay £150 than £1000.”

Pointless lovers Louis and Steven.

But not all students share that opinion. Freshers Louis and Steve, for example, said: “Even if it wasn’t included in the accommodation rent we’d still get one because we enjoy Pointless, and you don’t get the same enjoyment from watching Pointless online.”

If you’re a student who cannot survive without a tv then you’ve come to the wrong place to study. You’d be probably better off studying in Brazil.