best roasts roast dinner exeter

The best roast spots in Exeter for when you’re missing your mum’s roasties

Don’t tell your mum that Exeter’s roasties are better than hers

University is simply a haven of freedom: a place where you can roll out of bed at 4pm, where you can stumble home from a night out at three am and acceptably start drinking around midday when needed. There’s an endless list of things you can get which you can’t get at home: three for £10 jägers, living with your besties, and a job free existence. However, there’s one thing that’s sorely missing: your mum’s Sunday Roast. You can try and deny it, but nothing you make – not even your flat’s Christmas dinner effort – will ever come close to hers. But not to worry, here are the best pub roasts in Exeter to try and hit that nostalgic spot.

If you want a roast dinner in Exeter, go to one of these best places:

The Last Drop – @thelastdrop_exeter

You might know The Last Drop as The Oddfellows, having recently been re-named, but you can still be guaranteed a roast of dreams. With Yorkshire puddings the size of your head and mouth-watering options from Roast Beef to Pork Belly (seriously, check out their Instagram), there is something to whet everyone’s appetites. Oh, and as well as having a very tempting-looking cocktail menu, dogs are welcome – so bring all your flatmates: everyone is welcome here. 

The Old Firehouse – @the_old_firehouse

We all love an Old Firehouse pizza – if you don’t, there might actually be something wrong with you. But on a Sunday, you can switch out your cheesy feast, for a roast dinner of champions. Enjoy your super-size roast with a pint, and a side of their mouth-watering cauliflower cheese. And if you want to finish your evening in style, you can stay for their Sunday ExTunes offering (hopefully returning this term), where students and locals come together for an evening of free music – is there a better way to end the week? I think not. 

best roasts roast dinner exeter

One of the best roasts in Exeter, end of

Double Locks – @doublelocks

You will have earned your roast dinner by the time you have walked the close to five kilometre walk along the Exe Estuary Trail to Double Locks. Trust me, the reward will be worth it. Whether you sit outside in their huge riverside beer garden or cosy up next to their open fire, Double Locks is the perfect place to beat the Sunday scaries. Whether meat-eater or veggie, I can personally claim, that any option is served with roasties, root veg and mouth-watering gravy. Quite literally winner winner chicken dinner.

The Fat Pig – @thefatpig_exeter

As stated on their website, The Fat Pig is not just the name of the pub, but a noun: namely how you will feel after filling your belly at this “friendly backstreet” pub. With a dog that roams freely around the restaurant (I’m convinced to go already), lively atmosphere and delicious food, this one is worth a visit. They don’t actually have a menu online, due to focusing on the seasonality of their food *chef’s kiss*; only a picture of an extremely appetising roast dinner, which promises great things. So, if you fancy pigging out on your roast this Sunday, then this is the place for you. 

The Globe (Lympstone Village) – @theglobeinn_lympstone

If you fancy splashing out on the train, or have a housemate you can bribe with the promise of paying for their dinner, head to Lympstone Village’s Globe Inn. With an old-worldy interior reminiscent of a scene from The Holiday, you can fill up with heaps of mash, veg and incredible Yorkshires (spy the photo) – the £5.20 train journey is worth it. With cosy fires and comfy chairs a-plenty, you may just be able to forget about the mould-sprouting pasta in your kitchen sink for a couple of hours, and mistake yourself for a dignified adult instead. 

Mill on the Exe – @millontheexe

About a 30 minute walk from campus, Mill on the Exe is a bit of a trek – but if you’re after a short-ish walk around Exeter’s quay and an actual wine list for you Sunday dining, this is the place for you. Gorgeous interiors, pretty views and both meat and veggie options which come equipped with enough gravy to drown your dinner, it’s a solid option.