The Exeter Tab needs you: Apply to be a part of the 2024-2025 editorial team

Applications close on Tuesday 30th April

The time has come, two very exhausted English students must bid farewell to The Exeter Tab and to a fabulous time at The Tab. Instead, we are pleased to announce, we are ready to welcome the next editorial team for the best source of all your student info in Exeter… and it could be you!

Do you have what it takes to steer a publication which is read by thousands of students every month?

Applications for the upcoming year’s editorial team are now open. The positions available are: Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor, Social Media Editor and TikTok Editor.

Experience in journalism is not essential because you will receive training from experienced student editors and journalists from The Tab HQ. We do ask that you come with ideas for the year ahead, ready to be committed to making a brilliant team leader and ready to inspire the new writers Exeter has to offer. Working for The Tab comes with national recognition (i.e. looks brilliant on a CV, perfect for grad jobs) and you’ll be working with people who are experienced in journalism, offering you insight into how all the behind-the-scenes works.

What you’ll be doing:

Editor-in-Chief

You will be responsible for overseeing every article published by The Exeter Tab and lead the direction of our coverage. It is your responsibility to organise team meetings, as well as commission articles to the team and communicate with The Tab HQ. In the week you’ll work with section editors to make sure we are breaking big stories and publishing entertaining features. You will work closely with the Social Media editor to ensure regular posting takes place, as well as be able to help create content. Alongside this, you’ll be editing individual articles, making sure The Exeter Tab has the most talented writers in our team. This role is suited to somebody who is motivated, passionate to represent students and, above all, organised. You will need to be able to oversee all the moving parts of The Exeter Tab.

News Editor

You’ll be responsible for finding out all the most shocking scoops on campus. It’s your responsibility to keep your finger on the pulse and to know a good story when you see one. News is unpredictable and fast-paced. When a story occurs you need to have the ability to move quickly and efficiently. You will also be trained in the legalities of news-based articles, including how to go for comment.

You’ll be working on stories just like these:

Knee-deep flooding causes chaos in Exeter for students trying to move into their uni house

Exeter University takes disciplinary action against two staff in student relationships

University of Exeter warns students over ‘contaminated’ heroin as drug overdoses rise in area

Features Editor

You’ll be in charge of writing and editing our feature pieces. You should have a strong idea of what you would like the features section of The Exeter Tab to look like.

The role allows you to be witty, educational, opinionated and creative in your writing. It’s important you know what’s relevant, interesting and funny to the specific student audience at Exeter.

Explained: This is what the Exeter rugby ‘nappy run’ actually is

We spoke to Scott, THAT guy who works in Exeter campus Pret who you’re all swooning over

Here are all the struggles you’ll relate to as an international student studying at Exeter

Social Media Editor

The Social Media Editor is in charge of our Instagram content, responsible for our digital brand and growing our student reach. You must be proficient in Canva or another picture-editing software to make sure all our posts are up to scratch. As well as condensing long-form content into an Instagram post, you must be clued up about meme culture and on the ball to keep The Bristol Tab on trend.

You’ll be making posts like these:

TikTok Editor

After finally launching The Exeter Tab TikTok this year, we want someone who can take the page to new heights by growing the page and gaining as many new followers as possible.

We need someone creative, outgoing and happy to be on camera as you will be expected to regularly create vox pops interviewing students on campus or nights out. You’ll need to think of creative ways to incorporate the latest TikTok trends into relatable Exeter content, as well as an eye for video-editing on the app.

If you think you’ve got what it takes and want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out this Google form by Tuesday 30th April: