Bill Douglas Centre embraces the digital age

Exeter University’s history of cinema museum is embracing digital technology to open up international interest

| UPDATED Bill Douglas digital film

The Bill Douglas Centre has recently digitised its collection “Moving Images, Optical Entertainments and the Advent of Cinema”.

The collection features a vast assortment of cinema and pre-cinema material which is held on Streatham Campus. It is made up of around 40,000 images of artefacts, and various 360 degree images, video clips and high resolution files. Making this collection available to purchase by other university libraries has allowed researchers and students worldwide to benefit from the material.

Phil Wickham, the curator of the Bill Douglas Centre, stated: “The collaboration with Adam Matthew in producing “Moving Images, Optical Entertainments and the Advent of Cinema” has been very fruitful– the publication will help to raise the profile of the museum, and also of course the University, throughout the world.”

“The project… allows scholars, wherever they are, access to the riches of The Bill Douglas Cinema museum collections through extremely high quality scans and innovative photography.

“It illustrates the valuable research resources, integral to study, that the University of Exeter holds.”