International students unable to return home from Cov are helping out the NHS amid crisis

PhD students and researchers have been volunteering to help

A group of PhD students and researchers from Coventry University have volunteered to help the NHS by answering calls to fight the coronavirus pandemic.

Professor Helen Maddock, Executive Director of Coventry University’s Centre for Sports, Exercise and Life Sciences, said: “Some of the students who have volunteered are from France and Pakistan and are unable to get home themselves to be with their families but want to do whatever they can to support and help their local hospital during this unprecedented time. I am absolutely overwhelmed with the response and very proud of our students”.

The staff are also preparing different equipment such as RNA and DNA extractions, to offer the NHS to help them carry out tests and also increase the number of tests performed.

Professor Maddock announced that they have been in contact with government officials, relevant biotechnology companies and University Hospital of Coventry and Warwickshire (UHCW) to arrange the equipment and reagents that are available to be used to help. She said: “We are waiting to hear back on what is needed and where. We are ready to do what we can to help”.

A PhD student, Mr Raja Idris has volunteered to help and expresses: “I just wanted to help in any way that I could. I told them I’m available if they need me, even if that’s just ushering people about at the hospital”.

This comes after Coventry University made the decision to extend dissertation deadlines to relieve the pressure on students and allow staff to follow coronavirus NHS guidelines.