Coventry set for Tier 3 restrictions next week: Here’s how it affects students

It’s the highest set of coronavirus restrictions

Coventry has been announced among the areas entering Tier 3 once lockdown ends on the 2nd of December. The announcement was made this morning by the government and places Coventry under the most severe ‘high alert’ restrictions.

Under Tier 3 rules, indoor entertainment including sporting events and theatres will remain closed. Hotels and other accommodation will close. Restaurants and pubs remain closed along with all forms of hospitality except for takeaways and delivery. Household mixing is also still banned.

Gyms, shops and hair salons can reopen after lockdown for Christmas with restrictions in place such as social distancing and hand sanitisers. The rule of six  will still apply to for outdoor public spaces.

Final year student Dan Clemson told The Coventry Tab: “I’m very annoyed as I’m zero hour contracted so won’t be furloughed and this will continue to affect how I can see my friends and family”.

For students, universities can stay open. Symptom-free testing has been announced to begin on the 30th of November for students in a University email, this is to ensure that students are still able to travel home for Christmas.

Coventry University’s Vice Chancellor, Guy Daly stated in the email: “We are working with the government to offer symptom-free testing to all our students so that you can return home knowing you have don everything you can to be COVID-19 free”.

During his statement in the House of Commons, Matt Hancock said this morning: “I know how difficult this has been, especially for those who have been in tougher restrictions for so long”.