Symptom free tests to be mandatory for students who have face-to-face lectures

Negative results need to be received before classes

It has been made a requirement for Coventry University students to have rapid Lateral Flow (symptom-free) Covid-19 tests upon their return to campus. Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Guy Daly has said that students ‘need to do this and receive a negative test result before attending classes on campus’ in an email that was sent out yesterday.

A Lateral Flow testing centre was established at Priory Sports Hall on campus last semester to provide symptom-free testing for students to ensure they were able to safely travel home for Christmas.

For Coventry-based students, testing will once again take place at the Priory Sports Hall and it is a walk- in, so appointments will not be necessary, however you will be asked for a form of ID. You can walk-in for a test from 9am until 5pm from Monday to Friday.

Students who are due to start placements in January are to go ahead as planned but students must check with their course directors to check arrangements and receive further advice.

Students who are completely online do not need to take a test however it is strongly encouraged by Coventry University upon returning to university to help to prevent a spread of Covid-19 across the campus.

An earlier email said that symptom-free testing in January was optional stating that ‘the tests are free and they are voluntary’ whereas yesterdays email sees a decision change as these tests are now mandatory for students with ‘blended’ learning, meaning a mix of face-to-face and online lectures.

We will update you on this story when we receive further information.