Varsity Ski-Trip announce their return in December 2021

The trip will run from the 3-11th December this year

The Varsity Ski Trip announced last night on their Facebook that the 2021 trip will be running from the 3rd-11th of December 2021.

Alongside a rebranding, the organisers of the 2021 event announced yesterday (10/05) at 8 pm the long-awaited return of the event. As the 2020 trip was cancelled due to government restrictions, a spokesperson said: “We just want to make it clear that Varsity is returning bigger and better than ever before!”

The annual ski and snowboard trip is organised by and run for Oxbridge students. The trip is open to students at all levels of skiing and snowboarding and offers a week of snow sports, competitions and events at student prices.

The re-branding includes the replacement of the purple and pink logo background with oranges and yellows (Photo credit: Olivia Shelton)

Founded in 1922 as part of the blues ski race between Oxford and Cambridge, according to the event’s Facebook, it has “become the largest student-run snow sports event in the world.” Each year the event takes over 3000 students to ski in the Alps, past locations including Val Thorens, Tignes and Val D’ Lsère. It is well known for its après ski and festival style parties and has hosted events with Tinie Tempah, Calvin Harris, DJ Fresh and Bonxas.

The event was post-phoned in 2020 and rescheduled for the 19-27th of March 2021; however, due to further government restrictions, it is now occurring this December. A spokesperson for the Varsity Ski Trip said that they know “how confusing the last year has been in terms of cancelled trips” and emphasized their desire to “make sure everyone is aware of our return, particularly freshers.”

This year’s trip celebrates 99 years of its organisation. Its coordinators are offering the chance to win £200 off the ticket in December by tagging three friends in the post on their Facebook.

Cover image credits: Olivia Shelton

Articles recommended by this author:

UCU launches Recognition Now campaign to fight for union recognition for all Cambridge University staff

News Column: Week One

The results are in: Cambridge local elections 2021